Denis Marier

Default Bandsaw recommendation

While I see that choosing the proper bandsaw is important I realized that
picking up the right blade is as important.
Background:
I am looking around to upgrade my old (1978) Rockwell Bandsaw. Its maximum
height of cut is 6 inches with 1/2 HP motor. To cut blanks I had to get a 4
TPI (L) skip tooth blade. http://www.melbran.com/wikus_geometry.htm#skip
It's works well. Last spring when cutting a 5" thick maple blanks the blade
went to a soft spot and accelerated the cutting pace. I pulled my finger as
quick as I could but not fast enough for my left hand index to be cut to the
bone below the knuckle. Today, the flesh and skin have grown back on the
finger after about six months. The only wenge I have is 2" thick dried and I
have not problem cutting it.with the 4 TPI (L) blade FWIW

"Owen Davies" wrote in message
t...
Denis Marier not unreasonably asked:

What type of teeth configuration did you have on your blade when the

motor
burned out.

Whatever he had on it. Memory says it was hooked, about 3 tpi, but it's
long enough ago that I can't be sure. Definitely not a top-quality resaw
blade, but my guess is that a better blade would only have bought me a few
more inches of cut before disaster struck. It really was not a saw that
inspired confidence.

Owen Davies