Posted to rec.woodworking
Gray_Wolf Gray_Wolf is offline

Default How to sharpen a pencil

On 22 Jul 2014 20:11:42 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

Bill wrote in :

I would have liked to have seen that. Did he do it with an element of
humor or fear? With my shop teachers, it was often hard to tell whether
they were being funny or not (like when pointing to the picture taped to
the drill press of a kid with half of the hair on his head missing).

I never realized how dangerous a drill press could be until I started
reading machinist forums. If the bit grabs, the workpiece can come around
and hit you faster than your reflexes can take corrective action.

It doesn't seem to be as big of problem with wood, as the wood doesn't
provide as good of hold as metal or plastic. However, I've had a few times
where the bit has grabbed and spun a small workpiece around. I also had
one time where it grabbed and pulled the piece around and whacked the
column. Better it than me.

Puckdropper

Brass. I learned how treacherous drilling it can be. Fortunately my
little drill press vice missed me as it went flying into the wall A
standard bit will grab and either it and your holding devise will go
for a spin or your drill bit will break. The trick I found was to
stone the cutting edge to increase the cutting angle. It doesn't take
much.