Posted to rec.woodworking

Default How to sharpen a pencil

Puckdropper wrote:

I never realized how dangerous a drill press could be until I started
reading machinist forums. If the bit grabs, the workpiece can come
around and hit you faster than your reflexes can take corrective
action.

It doesn't seem to be as big of problem with wood, as the wood doesn't
provide as good of hold as metal or plastic. However, I've had a few
times where the bit has grabbed and spun a small workpiece around. I
also had one time where it grabbed and pulled the piece around and
whacked the column. Better it than me.

No kidding Mister! I've had more than one piece come swinging around and
whack my hand. It's always because I was trying to take a short cut and not
secure things properly - figuring I could hold it just fine by hand. A
spade bit can really grab into a piece of wood just before you complete the
bore - and there you go! You'd think some people would learn over time...

--

-Mike-