Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH[_3_] dadiOH[_3_] is offline

Default How to sharpen a pencil

"Puckdropper" puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote in message
eb.com
Bill wrote in
:

I would have liked to have seen that. Did he do it with an element of
humor or fear? With my shop teachers, it was often hard to tell
whether
they were being funny or not (like when pointing to the picture taped
the drill press of a kid with half of the hair on his head missing).

I never realized how dangerous a drill press could be until I started
reading machinist forums. If the bit grabs, the workpiece can come
around
and hit you faster than your reflexes can take corrective action.

It doesn't seem to be as big of problem with wood, as the wood doesn't
provide as good of hold as metal or plastic. However, I've had a few
times where the bit has grabbed and spun a small workpiece around. I
also had one time where it grabbed and pulled the piece around and
whacked the column. Better it than me.

That is why one clamps the work piece securely to the table. A fence
helps too

--

dadiOH