Posted to rec.woodworking
Grant Edwards Grant Edwards is offline

Default How to sharpen a pencil

On 2014-07-22, Puckdropper puckdropper wrote:

I never realized how dangerous a drill press could be until I started
reading machinist forums. If the bit grabs, the workpiece can come
around and hit you faster than your reflexes can take corrective
action.

You take "corrective action" with a vise and/or clamps _before_ you
lower the quill.

It doesn't seem to be as big of problem with wood, as the wood doesn't
provide as good of hold as metal or plastic. However, I've had a few times
where the bit has grabbed and spun a small workpiece around. I also had
one time where it grabbed and pulled the piece around and whacked the
column. Better it than me.

--
Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! I joined scientology
at at a garage sale!!