Posted to rec.woodworking
Bill[_47_] Bill[_47_] is offline

Default How to sharpen a pencil

Swingman wrote:
On 6/25/2014 11:51 PM, Gramps' shop wrote:
Reminds me of the instructor in my high school mechanical drawing
class who was fixated on how well we deployed his technique in
sharpening the lead in our mechanical pencils. We used small hand
held sanding blocks and I wish I would have saved one of them.

Dayum! Had one of those teachers also. Our pencil leads had to be
wedge shaped, with a very particular taper, and we were graded on how
well we effected the proper shape, as well as maintained it through use.

Occasionally he would confiscate a pencil from a student and test it.

I would have liked to have seen that. Did he do it with an element of
humor or fear? With my shop teachers, it was often hard to tell whether
they were being funny or not (like when pointing to the picture taped to
the drill press of a kid with half of the hair on his head missing).

Can't complain though, it was when I began to realize the importance
of "details" in getting things right(write).