Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wi-Fi range extender.

Jethro_uk wrote:

Tim Watts wrote:

What's the security like on a Homeplug? (When it leaks into the
neighbour's house).

As jethro said, you pair them by pressing buttons on each unit within a
couple of minutes of each other.

I'm not sure of the exact details, but they seem to be limited to one
ring, and they won't work past an RCD.

I've avoided powerline networking kit so far, but visiting my parents
over the weekend, Dad mentioned he'd like to watch youtube in his
pottery - at the bottom of the garden, furthest from WiFi, several brick
walls and the steel clad roof in the way.

I tried repositioning the AP and changing to a less congested channel,
but could only get a marginal signal, no easy way to run ethernet down
there, but he has power for the wheel/pugger/kiln.

Dismissed the powerline wifi extenders as too expensive for occasional
use at £75-80 PCWorld/Maplin distress purchase prices.

But for £20 a pair of powerline adapters worth a try, with the option of
taking them back if they don't work, 45 minute drive to PCworld, as we
entered they were starting to close the roller-shutter doors.

The tortuous route for the signal is

ethernet from router
powerline adapter
10 way surge filtered power strip
triple adapter cube
ring circuit
ye olde Wylex fuseboard
henley blocks
50+ yards of 16mm^2 SWA
small consumer unit with RCD/MCBs
radial circuit
powerline adapter
ethernet to laptop

I half expected it to not work, and the only thing worth trying would
have been to remove the triple adapter and surge strip, but it worked a
treat and now he can watch potters while he potters :-)