Sanaka

Default Bandsaw recommendation

Imagine your Carter guides with the bearings turned 90 deg. to how
they are - that's Euro guides. They are standard on most of the
Italian made fabricated frame saws like Laguna and Meber. There is
necessarily a friction between the blade and the bearing surface all
the time. Interesting the Carters clog up w/ green wood - I'm sure the
Euros would be at least as bad. Block guides actually are very
effective, the only 'complaint' being the friction with the blade -
probably more an idealogical than real problem, especially with what
you describe where blocks would keep the blade wiped clean :-) The
Laguna guides are kind of a high tech block guide using a high heat
aerospace ceramic for the blocks.

Peace,
Sanaka

Owen Lowe wrote in message ...
In article ,
(Sanaka) wrote:

I'm not sure what the Euro guides are, but I have the Carter's on my
Delta 14" - and I wouldn't recommend them to anyone who does a majority
of green wood cutting. The outer surface of the bearings load up with
damp sawdust and sap creating a loud and bumpy cutting experience. I
frequently have to stop the saw in order to scrape the gunk off each
bearing because it gets so bad. In hindsight I wish I had gone with the
standard block guides.

_____
American Association of Woodturners
Cascade Woodturners Assoc., Portland, Oregon
Northwest Woodturners, Tigard, Oregon
_____