Sanaka

Default Bandsaw recommendation

I own a Laguna 16". I just ordered my lathe so I can't comment on
specific lathe related operations, but in genreal woodworking terms: I
got this saw primarily because it has 12" resaw capacity in the small
16" footprint. It is very stout and the motor is plenty powerful. The
mobile base they sell is great. I've done some precise resawing with
it, so it _is_ capable of the kind of work it is marketed for. I think
the current models come with the new 'Laguna guides' as standard
equipment. This is good because [rant warning] the Euro guides, such
as my saw has, truly and utterly SUCK. That more than one prototype of
this design was ever built is a real blemish on the notion that
mankind's collective intelligence is evolving. Either that or they are
a supremely well executed cruelty joke. Did I mention that the Euro
guides totally SUCK? Well they do. They suck. OK? [end rant] These
guides are probably why I feel the saw is finicky and doesn't track as
precisely as it should. I imagine that brute force is at least as
important for roughing out something that will after be turned, and in
that respect this saw is fine.

Just whatever you buy, if it has Euro guides, factor in the cost of
new guides. Carter guides are around $150, and 'Laguna guides,' their
new style ceramic ones, are like $220.

Peace,
Sanaka

(Bob Pritchard) wrote in message ...
Hi Andrew, In that price range Laguana would be a good choice. I don't own one
but have seen them at a woodworking show.
I've also read positive reviews here.
I think they start at around $1000

I'm looking to upgrade my bandsaw - my current saw is just too small for
rounding out large blanks

Bob, Naugatuck Ct.
http://www.outofcontrol-woodturning.com