Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Bull**** detector: claimed welding experience

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article m,
F Murtz wrote:
Ah. You seem to be talking about so called lead free *soft* solder.
Which does contain small amounts of silver. It is now the norm in the
UK too - sadly.

No I am talking about the first on this list

http://www.metalspraysupplies.com/ms...lversolder.pdf

Must be an Oz thing - referring to all 'solders' containing tiny amounts
of silver as silver solder. By that, UK lead free solder is also silver
solder.

No one seems to comprehend, silver solder to us is sticks of stuff that
take a lot of heat to melt all the others are just solder or soft solder
this is in most of the trades metalworking, electrical, plumbing, air
con refrigeration etc I was electrical and worked alongside every
industrial trade there is and silver solder was wire like sticks of hard
stuff to all of them, solder was usually a thick lump of stuff that
melted with an iron and in the electrical trade sometimes came on a
spool with flux in it usually rosin sometimes acid.
In the electronic trades some may call some soft solders silver solder
if they contain silver
You notice that I am not talking technically, so everyone should understand.

But judging by the apostrophe use in that document English isn't a strong
point anyway.