Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Bull**** detector: claimed welding experience

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 18/07/14 05:16, F Murtz wrote:
polygonum wrote:
On 16/07/2014 14:50, F Murtz wrote:
It is extremely common in Australia and I can not believe that it is
not
in UK by professionals.

If plumbers did actually use silver solder (of whatever percentage
silver content), you'd expect them to be able to buy the stuff in
plumbers' merchants, would you not?

Funny how BES and Screwfix don't appear to sell it. (Of course, maybe I
am simply crap at finding it.)

May be plumbers buy their stuff at plumbing wholesalers and not at
general hardware shops, or if screwfix etc are trade suppliers you are
not looking hard enough
I can not imagine that the UK is so different to here
Anywhere copper is used on new flats, units or multistory living spaces
5% or 2% silver is specified,Small single dwellings now seem to be going
plastic but if copper is used it is silver soldered
Why don't you do what I suggested and ask a real plumber?

Did you ask them what they used to join copper in new places(not just
alterations in old places)

Darling I had half a dozen here building my house and bought my lead
free solder from the same builders merchants as they did.

No one called it 'silver solder' and it isn't 'silver solder', even
though it generally has 2% silver in it to help it flow.

This is soft solder sometimes containing silver
This is not the silver solder I am referring to

What you can or cannot imagine appears to be orthogonal to the actual
facts of the matter.

I think it is a language problem
There is silver containing soft solder but I am not referring to that,I
am referring to what most countries (except seemingly UK)call silver
solder or silver brazing solder.(mostly copper bit of silver and phosphor)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/41035-Harris...em259193 f27d
Here is a range.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/41035-Harris...em259193 f27d

This whole subject is absolutely amazing me,I can not believe that the
UK differs so much from everywhere else and is using ancient methods
that have changed so long ago elsewhere.

I am completely baffled as I am having trouble finding the copper
phosphor silver alloys in the british plumbing establishments on the
net, here you can get it at all hardwares,trade plumbing supplies and
all over the place.