Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bull**** detector: claimed welding experience

On 17/07/14 10:21, F Murtz wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/07/14 14:41, F Murtz wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/07/14 05:29, F Murtz wrote:

The silver solder that plumbers use for copper pipe is usually
only 2%
silver

Plumbers don't use silver solder for copper pipe.

You must have strange plumbing practices or a different set of words.

Look at the first one mentioned.
http://www.metalspraysupplies.com/ms...lversolder.pdf

2% silver is not 'silver solder' except to people in marketing.

Not in to semantics in this instance.
It is sold as 2% silver solder and is bought by plumbers and called
silver solder by them and used to join copper whenever they want a top
shelf job.

Not in this country it isn't.

Personally whenever I join copper where It can not be got at again and I
do not want it to fail as I have seen so many soft solder joints do I
use that erroneously called (by you)silver solder

I have never ever seen a so called 'soft' solder plumbing joint fail
that was made properly in the first place.

It is clear you have not actually done any real life soldering.

I just asked my plumber son and all the work he does now specify silver
solder often 5% but they cheat and use 2%.

yeah right.

All commercial work, units blocks of flats and industrial use silver
solder most plumbers use silver solder, in some domestic houses a few
may use soft solder

It is illegal to use lead solder these days.

this 2% and 5% silver solder is called silver solder by the makers the
sellers and the users.

No it isnt. Its called 'lead free solder'

http://www.screwfix.com/p/fernox-sol...ead-free/77198

I do not believe the UK differs much

Finally he admits he is not in the UK.

This is a UK specific NG.

****.

unless they still work in dark age
practices

No, they work in EU specified lead free practices.

They simply do not take words with specific meanings and change them for
marketing purposes as much as whatever intellectual backwater you
inhabit does,

Please ask any plumbing relatives or acquaintances you may have and
prove me wrong.

they all use plumbers solder of the lead free persuasion.