Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 12 cu ft frost free fridge not cooling properly

On 7/17/2014 11:45 AM, trader_4 wrote:

CY: Unless law changed, units having less than 50 pounds
refrigerant don't need to be repaired.

So, it doesn't have to be at least investigated? You just pump
in more refrigerant without determining what may be leaking, the
size of the leak? If you did that, put in some, charged $150 and
then 2 weeks later the fridge isn't working and the customer wants
their money back, then what?

CY: Advise customer before filling, no way to
know how long it will last.

CY: That's maybe true for Canada, but I work a
bit cheaper in NY.

IDK what you charge in NY, but like others here, it's typically
min $100 to get an appliance service guy out. And that's before
any charges for adding refrigerant, etc.

CY: Thanks, that's good to know.

CY: Who says his refrig is that old?

You're right, he hasn't said how old it is, I'm just guessing the age.
Even if it's just a few years old though, if a new one is just $400,
given the *mimimun* possible problem, the cost of a service call
to find out for sure what's wrong, etc, the economics here say to junk
it. The one thing that might change that would be if it's still under
warranty. Even then, if just the compressor is under warranty, not the
whole thing, it's probably still not worth it.

CY: Now, that opens an idea. If the Nestork unit
is less than 5 years old, might be on warranty.

--
..
Christopher A. Young