Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 12 cu ft frost free fridge not cooling properly

On 7/17/2014 10:28 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Based on the symptoms reported, I concur. Sure seems
a shame to scrap an otherwise good refrig because it
needs a couple ounces of refrigerant.

The problems are that if it does need refigerant, then:

A - there must be a leak somewhere that needs to be investigated/fixed

CY: Unless law changed, units having less than 50 pounds
refrigerant don't need to be repaired.

B - Unless you have the skills, tools, supplies to do A, the cost of A,
or just getting a service guy in the door isn't
worth it when it's an old fridge and the OP says a replacement one
costs $400 new.

CY: That's maybe true for Canada, but I work a
bit cheaper in NY.

If the tire on your car was soft, would you remove

and discard the tire, rim, valve stem, etc?

Of course not. But the cost of getting a leaking tire fixed is what?
$20? You can also diagnose it, fix it yourself for a few bucks. You
can't do that with the refrigerant portion of a fridge.

CY: As a result of government over regulation.

Also factor in that a new refrigerator typically uses half the energy
that a 25 year old one does, which could save $75 - $100 a year, and
the choice becomes obvious.

CY: Who says his refrig is that old?