Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default 12 cu ft frost free fridge not cooling properly

On Thursday, July 17, 2014 9:46:24 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/17/2014 9:33 AM, trader_4 wrote:

Your free to satisfy your curiosity, but I don't see anything

probative to be gained by seeing the coils. You know the compressor

is running continuously, the internal fan is running and air is

coming out. You can feel or measure the temperature of the air coming out.

I don't think it's physically possible for that condition to

exist, without something being wrong with the refrigeration system

and the coils not getting cold. The only possible way might be for

the defrost heater to be stuck on, but you have access to it's wiring

and could disable it. If anyone has seen a fridge with the conditions

you have, where the coils were actually getting cold, I'd like to hear

what it was.......

Based on the symptoms reported, I concur. Sure seems

a shame to scrap an otherwise good refrig because it

needs a couple ounces of refrigerant.

The problems are that if it does need refigerant, then:

A - there must be a leak somewhere that needs to be investigated/fixed

B - Unless you have the skills, tools, supplies to do A, the cost of A,
or just getting a service guy in the door isn't
worth it when it's an old fridge and the OP says a replacement one
costs $400 new.

If the tire on your car was soft, would you remove

and discard the tire, rim, valve stem, etc?

Of course not. But the cost of getting a leaking tire fixed is what?
$20? You can also diagnose it, fix it yourself for a few bucks. You
can't do that with the refrigerant portion of a fridge.

Also factor in that a new refrigerator typically uses half the energy
that a 25 year old one does, which could save $75 - $100 a year, and
the choice becomes obvious.