Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark[_30_] Mark[_30_] is offline

Default Wi-Fi range extender.

On Thu, 17 Jul 2014 14:59:31 +0100, Tim Watts
wrote:

On 17/07/14 14:34, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:45:37 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

My router is in the cellar for historic reasons. So all the LAN cabling
goes there, and I'd rather not change things since it works just fine.

Of course now I've got Wi-Fi from it, it's not in an ideal place for
that
and coverage at the top of the house is poor.

I had a similar situation. After faffing about with extenders, proxy
servers with a second SSID, and more powerful routers, the only reliable
fix was a homeplug.

What's the security like on a Homeplug? (When it leaks into the
neighbour's house).

I doubt enough signal would leak into another house unless there's
something weird with your wiring. Homeplugs do some kind of
encryption but I don't know how good it is.

You know where you are with Wifi - so just curious...

Yes. You know GCHQ is listening.....
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?