Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Bull**** detector: claimed welding experience

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/07/14 14:41, F Murtz wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/07/14 05:29, F Murtz wrote:

The silver solder that plumbers use for copper pipe is usually only 2%
silver

Plumbers don't use silver solder for copper pipe.

You must have strange plumbing practices or a different set of words.

Look at the first one mentioned.
http://www.metalspraysupplies.com/ms...lversolder.pdf

2% silver is not 'silver solder' except to people in marketing.

Not in to semantics in this instance.
It is sold as 2% silver solder and is bought by plumbers and called
silver solder by them and used to join copper whenever they want a top
shelf job.
Personally whenever I join copper where It can not be got at again and I
do not want it to fail as I have seen so many soft solder joints do I
use that erroneously called (by you)silver solder
I just asked my plumber son and all the work he does now specify silver
solder often 5% but they cheat and use 2%.
All commercial work, units blocks of flats and industrial use silver
solder most plumbers use silver solder, in some domestic houses a few
may use soft solder
this 2% and 5% silver solder is called silver solder by the makers the
sellers and the users.
I do not believe the UK differs much unless they still work in dark age
practices
Please ask any plumbing relatives or acquaintances you may have and
prove me wrong.