Posted to uk.d-i-y
F Murtz F Murtz is offline

Default Bull**** detector: claimed welding experience

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/07/14 14:50, F Murtz wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 16/07/14 05:29, F Murtz wrote:

The silver solder that plumbers use for copper pipe is usually only 2%
silver

Plumbers don't use silver solder for copper pipe.

It is extremely common in Australia and I can not believe that it is not
in UK by professionals.
There is a whole range of fittings made specifically for the purpose.
Home handymen have a different range of fittings with a band of soft
solder in them, professionals do sometimes soft solder when they can't
get their oxy near(or mapp gas in a pinch)

Soft solder is not silver solder.

As I have been trying to explain

It used to be lead/tin but now we have gone lead free its mainly tin
IIRC copper and a little silver to help it flow by messing around with
the alloys eutectic wotsits.

The term SILVER solder refers to a calls of hard high temperature
solders with much higher silver content that are not used in plumbing
applications.

Silver solder is a term that manufactures use to describe a high temp
harder product that ranges from 2% to a very high percentage of silver
Most home handymen use soft solder because it is easier to melt,
plumbers use both, depending on how permanent they want or whether the
contractor has specified. Plumbers mostly use 2% sometimes 5% it is
extremely easy to use if you have oxy acetylene it need no flux copper
to copper unless copper to brass

It is strange that this news group seems to have a smattering of most
trades except plumbers that contribute.