Posted to alt.home.repair
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default 12 cu ft frost free fridge not cooling properly

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 09:42:18 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

And, apart from defrosting itself once every 20 hours or so, the

compressor and evaporator fan were running continuously overnight so far

as I can tell.

My next step is to take the freezer floor out of the fridge so I can see

the evaporator coils and how frost accumulates on them. At this point

I'm expecting to see proof of a low freon charge, and am thinking I'm

going to be buying a new fridge shortly.

Why bother? If the compressor is running constantly, the fan in the
freezer is working, and it's been defrosted so it's not blocked by
ice, why do you need to see the coils? It's obviously a major failure
and it's not cooling.

If the fan is blowing air, you can feel where it is coming out. If
no air, check the coil. If air is passing, the coil is not frozen and
the unit is probably trash, not worth fixing.