Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wi-Fi range extender.

On 16/07/2014 11:12, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:45:37 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

2) Access Point. Gives Wi-Fi from a LAN etc with no Wi-Fi of its own.

That sentence contradicts itself. An "Access Point" is what you need
placed on the wired LAN in the best place to give good RF coverage in
the places you want.

I think that's what it means, but isn't worded very well. I think it
means that it uses a LAN connection to create a WiFi hot-spot, but
doesn't receive a WiFi signal per se.

3) Client. Connects devices which are network enabled to Wi-Fi.

That might be some form of "bridge" mode. A device (printer, PC, WHY)
that has an ethernet port plugs into this box and can then connect to
the WiFi access point provided by something else.

Yes, indeed. I used a similar device (branded Tenda) to connect my PVR
to my network, so that I can use it to access iPlayer and to transfer
files to and fro to my computer. [The PVR has an ethernet connection but
no built-in WiFi] Sadly, the WiFi signal from my router wasn't strong
enough at the PVR location for it to work reliably, so I resorted to
using power-line adapters instead. [Wash your mouth out, Roger!]

Any reason why I can't use 2 ?

No I think that's what you want and turn off the WiFi on the basement
router if you don't need it. WiFi has some form of basic "hand over"
but I don't think it's very clever ie the access points don't talk to
each other to arrange a seamless hand over. I thinks it's just signal
strength based, and disconnect from one AP, econnect to another. I
suspect that both APs have to have the same SSID and channel
allocation but don't know that. GIYF...

Mode 2 is fine. I'm now using my Tenda device in that mode in order to
provide WiFi to places where I have ethernet but where the router's WiFi
signal isn't very strong. In my case, I'm using a totally different SSID
and passphrase from that used by the router. It means that portable
devices need to remember 2 different setups, but you only have to do
that once. It also means that if you move a portable device from one
area to another, you have to turn WiFi off and on again so that it finds
the other access point. That's not really too much hassle - and at least
then, I know what I'm connected to.
--
Cheers,
Roger