Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wi-Fi range extender.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:45:37 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

1) Repeater. Picks up the existing Wi-Fi signal and re-transmits it.

And knocks throughput in half in the process, only one thing can talk
at a time...

2) Access Point. Gives Wi-Fi from a LAN etc with no Wi-Fi of its own.

That sentance contradicts itself. An "Access Point" is what you need
placed on the wired LAN in the best place to give good RF coverage in
the places you want.

3) Client. Connects devices which are network enabled to Wi-Fi.

That might be some form of "bridge" mode. A device (printer, PC, WHY)
that has an ethernet port plugs into this box and can then connect to
the WiFi access point provided by something else.

Any reason why I can't use 2 ?

No I think that's what you want and turn off the WiFi on the basement
router if you don't need it. WiFi has some form of basic "hand over"
but I don't think it's very clever ie the access points don't talk to
each other to arrange a seamless hand over. I thinks it's just signal
strength based, and disconnect from one AP, econnect to another. I
suspect that both APs have to have the same SSID and channel
allocation but don't know that. GIYF...

--
Cheers
Dave.