Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lawrence[_3_] Lawrence[_3_] is offline

Default Wi-Fi range extender.

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 10:45:37 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:
My router is in the cellar for historic reasons. So all the LAN

cabling
goes there, and I'd rather not change things since it works just

fine.

Of course now I've got Wi-Fi from it, it's not in an ideal place

for that
and coverage at the top of the house is poor.

Bought a Wi-Fi range extender from Lidl. It has three modes:-

1) Repeater. Picks up the existing Wi-Fi signal and re-transmits it.

2) Access Point. Gives Wi-Fi from a LAN etc with no Wi-Fi of its

own.

3) Client. Connects devices which are network enabled to Wi-Fi.

I'd like to situate it where existing Wi-Fi coverage is marginal -

to give
the best results at the top of the house. I have the cable LAN to

there.

The instructions ain't clear if 1) will use a cable feed if present

- the
LAN present light does come on in that mode.

Any reason why I can't use 2 ?

--
*Seen it all, done it all, can't remember most of it*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

I've done second access point and WiFi repeater. With access point
mode I gave it a different Sid name and let it sort out the channel
itself. I prefer the repeater mode, using same Sid and channel. You
have to wire it initially to set it up but once done you can put it
anywhere.