Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] cpvh@o2.co.uk is offline

Default Wi-Fi range extender.

On Wednesday, July 16, 2014 10:45:37 AM UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
My router is in the cellar for historic reasons. So all the LAN cabling

goes there, and I'd rather not change things since it works just fine.

Of course now I've got Wi-Fi from it, it's not in an ideal place for that

and coverage at the top of the house is poor.

Bought a Wi-Fi range extender from Lidl. It has three modes:-

1) Repeater. Picks up the existing Wi-Fi signal and re-transmits it.

2) Access Point. Gives Wi-Fi from a LAN etc with no Wi-Fi of its own.

3) Client. Connects devices which are network enabled to Wi-Fi.

I'd like to situate it where existing Wi-Fi coverage is marginal - to give

the best results at the top of the house. I have the cable LAN to there.

The instructions ain't clear if 1) will use a cable feed if present - the

LAN present light does come on in that mode.

Any reason why I can't use 2 ?

Only the fact the instructions ain't good. I'm no expert on this stuff, but it may mean having a separate SSID etc, and you may want the channels either to match or not to match. Probably a quick Google on the make and model will find you some more user friendly instruction..

Ciao

Chris