Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Bull**** detector: claimed welding experience

On Wed, 16 Jul 2014 14:29:15 +1000, F Murtz wrote:

The Other Mike wrote:

Silver solder is commonly around 60 - 75% Silver and rarely ever higher. Items
that subsequently require hallmarking need to be 65% or higher. The higher the
silver content the better the colour match but joint gaps should be thin enough
to be near invisible anyway.

The silver solder that plumbers use for copper pipe is usually only 2%
silver

Can't for the life of me think of any application where a plumber rather than
say a boiler manufacturer would need to use silver solder and especially one
with such low silver content

The low melting point solder I very occasionally use on some electronic circuit
boards contains 2% silver (the remainder being 62% tin 36 % lead) There are
also a number of high melting point soft solders containing the same amount of
silver with the remainder being nearly all (90% +) lead and a very small
quantity of tin.