Posted to uk.d-i-y
Johny B Good[_2_] Johny B Good[_2_] is offline

Default A tale of a cheapo ink cartridge ...

On Tue, 15 Jul 2014 13:13:53 +0100, Tim Streater
wrote:

In article , Arfa Daily
wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
wrote
I've never had satisfactory performance from cheapo cartridges,

I do, with the last of the Canon inkjets that doesn't have chipped carts.

I do too. The cheapos that I use have four times the capacity of the
genuines. The print quality and colours are as good also. I doubt that the
ink is quite as 'stable' on photo paper and exposed to sunlight, but for
'regular' paper printing, it's just fine long term. I have printed many
photos using these inks in situations where they are not exposed to sunlight
all the time, and they have been perfectly ok at the time of printing, and
have remained so.

Interesting. We printed some pix on our Canon iP4000 using Canon carts.
But after some years these have now got a golden-ish sheen on any dark
areas of the pic. And why bother when you can get pix printed on proper
photo paper commercially or even online for tuppence-ha'penny.

Exactly! You've nailed it! I only chose the iP4000 because of its
ability to print onto printable disc media, thinking that ink tank
replacement would be far cheaper than printhead plus integrated ink
tank as used by HP. The fact that I could use it to print the odd page
or two onto A4 sheet was a minor bonus.

If I'd known that it relied entirely on the colour inks to print onto
disks, regardless of whether or not you only wanted to print black
text, I wouldn't have wasted my money.
--
J B Good