Byron

Default Powermatic light green 90 lathe

I have a Powermatic "90" it is a very good machine for larger work (not
recomended for pen turning) It originally came with a long rod with a
knob handel(18 Inches) for a knock out rod for the MT #2 (hung just
below the Outboard head on the cabinet, the tail stock is the same #2 MT
and that is just realse when you do a full back out on the tail stock
crank handel. as for the bearings they are not all that bad to replace
(but of course I was a heavy equiptment mechanic any way, so not bad
from MY point of veiw) also the face plate for the outboard is a
different thread than the inboard thread the inboard is an 1 1/2" inch 6
TPI right hand thread, the outboard is a 1 1/8' 6tpi Left hand thread.
Now as for a switch there was NEVER any switch but the speed handel put
to the stop position for a powermatic. I Do not know what you may want
to do there Hmmm! as for some of these Items I found it handy to get a
hold of the powermatic people and find a good rep locally (which I don't
have) but the factory has been good with me as I have several Powermatic
Tools (I like them) all bought used, and I rebuilt. other than
Powermatic I found that some things can be bought and fit through
"Grizzly" I am sure other comanys can do some things as well. I want to
try and do a different four jaw chuck on the inboard of mine, I just
have not gone there yet. Hope this helps and have fun with your
Powermatic "90".

Bill wrote:
I'm purchasing an older Powermatic 90 wood lathe for 450$ in Dayton
Ohio this winter. I found it by asking a local cabinet maker about
older, american made lathes. It runs but is missing some parts and the
way its running concerns me a little. It isn't as quiet as I would
think it is capable of...anyone out there replace the bearings on one
of these? Also, the drive center may be seized in the #2 MT spindle.
Could pounding it out with a long peice of drill rod inflict any
damage ? Or do you remove the drive center another way. There are
other problems such as some missing parts but overall this lathe is
intact. The parts that it needs are mostly the things you purchase
separately anyway such as faceplates, live center set, outboard
faceplate. I would like to install the original style on-off switch,
there is none right now. Can any woodturners out there give me some
advice on how to proceed with the restoration?