graeme campbell

Default Forstner bits...

Hi Fred
What is the "correct" method for sharpening Forstners particularly the
saw tooth ones. I've been around wood turning for 10 years but have
yet to see a decent article on the subject. My method is to drive down
to the local turning supply shop and buy a new one which can become
expensive.

Regards
graeme

Fred Holder wrote in message ...
Hello Ted,

Probably the Lowes set is imported and of questionable quality at that price.
High speed steel will be quite adequate for your purposes. I personally don't
like carbide tools for woodworking. They may hold their edge forever, but they
are never very sharp.

You can touch up a Forstner bit with a diamond hole, it use the little paddle
type for this.

Fred Holder
http://www.fholder.com/

In article , Ted says...

I have seen Forstner bits sell for a wide variety of prices:

Lowes set sells for about $30.
Woodcraft has sets for about $50 up to $400.
I have also seen carbide tip sets for about $130.

What should I look for? Is carbide better or is high speed steel OK?
Is it hard to sharpen the non carbide bits?

I will be using the bits in a chuck in the tailstock of my lathe
cutting into various kinds of wood.

Thanks for any info,
Ted