Thread: coax grounding
View Single Post
  #7   Report Post  
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
external usenet poster

Default coax grounding

On 7/10/2014 7:38 AM, stryped wrote:
I had a dish network sat dish and outside over the air tv antenna mounted to a tower until a storm blew through recently and blew the tower over. The person that installed the dish installed a coax grounding block near the point of entrance of the coax into the house. Both the over the air coax as well as the sat coax were connected to this block. A ground wire ran from this block about 12 inches to a power cut off box for my outside ac condenser. (Is this legal/proper?)

Anyway, I never had any problems out of the system. Years ago I had a ground rod at the tower and had nothing but problems with lightening strikes. When the person grounded it to the ac unit thus connecting it to house ground, I never had a problem.

The sat was re installed near its original location except to the eave of the house. I have been thinking of installing my new antenna and rotor on my vinyl chimney. Currently the chimney is not used, I don't even have gas logs although some day I might.

I guess my question is, can I install this set up on my chimney, running my new coax down the side of the house to a new grounding coax block, then running a ground wire from the coax block into the crawlspace to a junction box that is already in the crawlspace? (Thus grounding the coax to the house ground).

Also, I noticed that even before, the installer grounded my coax for both the tv antenna and the sat dish but the masts for each were not connected to any ground. Should they be?

I appreciate any advice.

Mine is to a 4' into the ground metal rod and a stranded green wire to
the rod from the shield mounting clamp.
Putting the ground to the small box, the high voltage could jump in the
box to the power legs and into the house..... Oh not again....

Best into the ground. Copper coated steel rod. Hardware store,
electrical supply, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Martin