Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default coax grounding

I had a dish network sat dish and outside over the air tv antenna mounted to a tower until a storm blew through recently and blew the tower over. The person that installed the dish installed a coax grounding block near the point of entrance of the coax into the house. Both the over the air coax as well as the sat coax were connected to this block. A ground wire ran from this block about 12 inches to a power cut off box for my outside ac condenser.. (Is this legal/proper?)

Anyway, I never had any problems out of the system. Years ago I had a ground rod at the tower and had nothing but problems with lightening strikes. When the person grounded it to the ac unit thus connecting it to house ground, I never had a problem.

The sat was re installed near its original location except to the eave of the house. I have been thinking of installing my new antenna and rotor on my vinyl chimney. Currently the chimney is not used, I don't even have gas logs although some day I might.

I guess my question is, can I install this set up on my chimney, running my new coax down the side of the house to a new grounding coax block, then running a ground wire from the coax block into the crawlspace to a junction box that is already in the crawlspace? (Thus grounding the coax to the house ground).

Also, I noticed that even before, the installer grounded my coax for both the tv antenna and the sat dish but the masts for each were not connected to any ground. Should they be?

I appreciate any advice.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

===============
http://www.solacity.com/grounding.htm

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/10/2014 9:14 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message
[...]

The reason you had trouble with the tower-only ground is you created a
nice current loop between that ground rod and the house electrical
ground. The coax and equipment connected to it completed the loop.

The web site is very interesting, but needs a little editing. I got as
far as the thin copper strap being 2.5 inches in diameter and decided
the BS must be leaking through!

All ground rods need to be connected together and to the house ground at
the electrical power entry.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

stryped wrote in
:

I had a dish network sat dish and outside over the air tv
antenna mounted to a tower until a storm blew through recently
and blew the tower over. The person that installed the dish
installed a coax grounding block near the point of entrance of
the coax into the house. Both the over the air coax as well as
the sat coax were connected to this block. A ground wire ran
from this block about 12 inches to a power cut off box for my
outside ac condenser. (Is this legal/proper?)

Yes; in fact, it's required by the National Electrical Code.

Anyway, I never had any problems out of the system. Years ago I
had a ground rod at the tower and had nothing but problems with
lightening strikes. When the person grounded it to the ac unit
thus connecting it to house ground, I never had a problem.

The sat was re installed near its original location except to
the eave of the house. I have been thinking of installing my new
antenna and rotor on my vinyl chimney. Currently the chimney is
not used, I don't even have gas logs although some day I might.

I guess my question is, can I install this set up on my chimney,
running my new coax down the side of the house to a new
grounding coax block, then running a ground wire from the coax
block into the crawlspace to a junction box that is already in
the crawlspace? (Thus grounding the coax to the house ground).

Why would you not use the same ground you've been using, at the A/C unit?

Also, I noticed that even before, the installer grounded my coax
for both the tv antenna and the sat dish but the masts for each
were not connected to any ground. Should they be?

Yes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 10:46:07 -0700, Paul Drahn
wrote:

On 7/10/2014 9:14 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

tsk,tsk,tsk

Anyway, I never had any problems out of the system. Years ago I had a
ground rod at the tower and had nothing but problems with lightening
strikes.

As opposed to a darkening strike? Those are even worse!

http://www.solacity.com/grounding.htm

The reason you had trouble with the tower-only ground is you created a
nice current loop between that ground rod and the house electrical
ground. The coax and equipment connected to it completed the loop.

The web site is very interesting, but needs a little editing. I got as
far as the thin copper strap being 2.5 inches in diameter and decided
the BS must be leaking through!

g I wonder if he meant "wide" instead of "diameter".

All ground rods need to be connected together and to the house ground at
the electrical power entry.

If my recollector recollects correctly, according to most people's
reading of the NEC, there shall be only one ground for the home, By
Crom!

--
Liberalism is a pathology.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 7/10/2014 9:14 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"stryped" wrote in message

tsk,tsk,tsk

[...]

When wiring my shop about 15 years ago two ground rods were required
unless a ground conductivity test was done and the conductivity was
high enough. Needless to say the test is much more expensive for a one
off job than driving another ground rod. The rods are pretty close to
each other and tied together at or just below ground level. Then a
wire from one goes into the meter box.
Eric
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 7/10/2014 7:38 AM, stryped wrote:
[...]

Mine is to a 4' into the ground metal rod and a stranded green wire to
the rod from the shield mounting clamp.
Putting the ground to the small box, the high voltage could jump in the
box to the power legs and into the house..... Oh not again....

Best into the ground. Copper coated steel rod. Hardware store,
electrical supply, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Martin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Martin Eastburn" wrote in message
Mine is to a 4' into the ground metal rod and a stranded green wire
to the rod from the shield mounting clamp.
Putting the ground to the small box, the high voltage could jump in
the box to the power legs and into the house..... Oh not again....

Best into the ground. Copper coated steel rod. Hardware store,
electrical supply, Lowes, Home Depot, etc.

Martin

My antenna, rotator and camera cables come in through conduit to a box
I can unplug them from when a storm is due.

-jsw

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin Eastburn wrote:
[...]

Mine is an 8' copper plated rod driven 7'8" into the rocky ! ground .
It's directly below the new meter base , and all grounds will be thru the
rod when construction is finished . Right now , everything -including phone
and sat - is grounded at the base of the temp power pole next to the camper
..

--
Snag