George

Default Forstner bits...

I go this way too. I got some of those oversize brad point bits from
Woodcraft, I believe - Chinese manufacture. They're not class steel, but
when boring deep holes they will clear for an inch or so at a time, and it's
easy to resharpen the annealed metal. My attempts with forstners on the
lathe have been more a case of clearing shavings every 1/4 inch or so.

Neat thing is that the brad point drops naturally into the indentation from
the live center.

"Eduardo Sarmiento Hall" wrote in message
om...
(Ted) wrote in message

. com...
I have seen Forstner bits sell for a wide variety of prices:

What should I look for? Is carbide better or is high speed steel OK?
Is it hard to sharpen the non carbide bits?

I will be using the bits in a chuck in the tailstock of my lathe
cutting into various kinds of wood.

Thanks for any info,
Ted

Hi Ted I also use the bits but do not get the carbide ones because to
sharpen they are very difficult also if you are going to bore an end
grain hole you are better with a regular bit I use a 1-1/2" machinist
bit to bore the hole in my vessels if they are end grain otherwise I
use forstner bits for side grain only also they last longuer ED