Randy Rhine

Default Forstner bits...

The best Forstner-type bits I've ever used are the HSS ones that Lee
Valley sells. Highly reccomended.

rr

Jim Pugh wrote:

Ted, I buy the mid-range: $40-$60 sets and replace them when they quit
cutting well. I also have a large, 3 1/2" forstener type bit that I
got from Woodcraft for $25. This one has been resharpened once which
cost less than a new bit. After you have used the bits for a while you
will soon decide if there is one particular size that you use the
most. In that case, I suggest you replace the cheapy with a better
quality bit but don't think carbide bits will serve any advantage in
wood.

Jim

Ted wrote:

I have seen Forstner bits sell for a wide variety of prices:

Lowes set sells for about $30.
Woodcraft has sets for about $50 up to $400.
I have also seen carbide tip sets for about $130.

What should I look for? Is carbide better or is high speed steel
OK?
Is it hard to sharpen the non carbide bits?

I will be using the bits in a chuck in the tailstock of my lathe
cutting into various kinds of wood.

Thanks for any info,
Ted