Jim Pugh

Default Forstner bits...

!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en"
html
Ted, I buy the mid-range: $40-$60 sets and replace them when they quit
cutting well.  I also have a large, 3 1/2" forstener type bit that
I got from Woodcraft for <$25.  This one has been resharpened once
which cost less than a new bit. After you have used the bits for a while
you will soon decide if there is one particular size that you use the most.
In that case, I suggest you replace the cheapy with a better quality bit
but don't think carbide bits will serve any advantage in wood.
pJim
pTed wrote:
blockquote TYPE=CITEI have seen Forstner bits sell for a wide variety
of prices:
pLowes set sells for about $30.
brWoodcraft has sets for about $50 up to $400.
brI have also seen carbide tip sets for about $130.
pWhat should I look for?  Is carbide better or is high speed steel
OK?
brIs it hard to sharpen the non carbide bits?
pI will be using the bits in a chuck in the tailstock of my lathe
brcutting into various kinds of wood.
pThanks for any info,
brTed/blockquote
/html