Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

On Tue, 08 Jul 2014 08:26:21 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

fired this volley in
:

Well, there is that. I prefer Tig for the fussy stuff. (I don't tig
myself, but 2 good friends look after the little tig work

Sure, but for small but NOT 'fussy' parts, MIG is the quick way to a good
joint with minimal cleanup. TIG has the disadvantage (for the average
guy) of requiring both expensive setups and a lot of practice to do well.
I have _tried_ to teach several guys TIG, and they just couldn't ever get
the puddle-dip-dip technique. They'd either blow holes in the work, or
just podge the filler on the surface. (note on that, if you can fusion
weld with O-A, then the learning curve for TIG is much shorter)

I've done a fair amount of O/A fusion welding over the decades, and
still do some. Gotta get my torches overhauled. I find both my eysight
and my fine motor controls have deteriorated making tig welding a bit
more challenging

MIG is a lot more forgiving for the guy who doesn't have the experience
or the investment, even if it does take a _little_ practice to get a nice
weld with good penetration.

I've seen guys who could TIG 0.005" shim stock to 1" plate, but I never
developed quite that degree of control over the puddle.

Lloyd

My building partner is a genuine artiste with the tig torch on
Aluminum, stainless, ChroMo, and mild steel. My hangar mate is also a
terrific Tig welder ( and phosphour bronze brazer) -