Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

Ignoramus2738 fired this volley in
:

And so I am wondering, will I benefit somehow from using MIG instead
of stick?

If you use GMAW mode, sure! GMAW requires virtually no cleanup, no flux
chipping, little spatter, and nice, clean welds with good penetration on
metal of the appropriate thickness to the wire size and amperage of the
machine.

You can also MIG aluminum. Although it's not as good as a TIG job, it
will go faster. It doesn't work as well through a stinger as it does
with a reel gun (not even with a Teflon liner in the hose).

For the sort of welding you do, stick is probably best. But when you
have that odd job that would be hard or time-consuming to clean up,
consider MIG, and save yourself a lot of after-welding labor.