Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 20:57:25 -0700, SteveB wrote:

On 7/7/2014 5:17 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 15:58:33 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

SteveB fired this volley in news:lpf0mm$qdg$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I love 7014, but to get any kind of a vee in there between the two
parts, I find it difficult to get a good solid weld in a short space. I
end up with slag inclusions, or burnthrough, or just slag. Yes, I will
probably do it with .035" E70-S-6 and 75/25 mixed gas. Gives a nice
appearance, but one must do root preparation, or get a cold lap weld.

Steve, if "pretty" is the goal, braze it.

Easy, fast, and the nicest-looking weldment you'll get between any two
pieces of metal. Plenty strong.

Lloyd

Particularly if you drill the big peice to pretty well slip fit the
round bar in - and sweat braze it. No need for a fillet braze in the
application- particularly if all you are doing is holding the pin in
the hole. You can make a very solid and almost invisible joint.

Would that be a flux coated rod, and getting it hot enough to flow like
a solder joint? That sounds pretty nice. The hardest part would be
getting the hole drilled in the flatbar.

Steve

Simply fire up the TIG welder and use it on uncoated braze rods. You
dont even need to slag off the bubbas.

I braze a fair amount..and havent used a coated rod in at least 2 yrs

-

"[F]ar from being the Great Satan, I would say that we
are the Great Protector. We have sent men and women
from the armed forces of the United States to other parts
of the world throughout the past century to put down oppression.
We defeated Fascism. We defeated Communism.
We saved Europe in World War I and World War II.
We were willing to do it, glad to do it. We went to
Korea. We went to Vietnam. All in the interest of
preserving the rights of people.

And when all those conflicts were over, what did we
do? Did we stay and conquer? Did we say, "Okay, we
defeated Germany. Now Germany belongs to us? We defeated Japan,
so Japan belongs to us"? No. What did we do?
We built them up. We gave them democratic systems which
they have embraced totally to their soul.
And did we ask for any land? No.

The only land we ever asked for was
enough land to bury our dead."

General Colin Powell