Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_15_] SteveB[_15_] is offline

Default Metal advice needed

On 7/7/2014 5:17 PM, wrote:
On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 15:58:33 -0500, "Lloyd E. Sponenburgh"
lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:

SteveB fired this volley in news:lpf0mm$qdg$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

I love 7014, but to get any kind of a vee in there between the two
parts, I find it difficult to get a good solid weld in a short space. I
end up with slag inclusions, or burnthrough, or just slag. Yes, I will
probably do it with .035" E70-S-6 and 75/25 mixed gas. Gives a nice
appearance, but one must do root preparation, or get a cold lap weld.

Steve, if "pretty" is the goal, braze it.

Easy, fast, and the nicest-looking weldment you'll get between any two
pieces of metal. Plenty strong.

Lloyd

Particularly if you drill the big peice to pretty well slip fit the
round bar in - and sweat braze it. No need for a fillet braze in the
application- particularly if all you are doing is holding the pin in
the hole. You can make a very solid and almost invisible joint.

Would that be a flux coated rod, and getting it hot enough to flow like
a solder joint? That sounds pretty nice. The hardest part would be
getting the hole drilled in the flatbar.

Steve