Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 13:41:57 -0700, SteveB wrote:

On 7/7/2014 7:47 AM, wrote:
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 21:02:36 -0700, SteveB wrote:

I need to make some replacement things for my tractor. They are pins
with a tab on them, and then the pin holds a larger pin in its socket.

It is formed of a piece of 3/8x1 Flat Bar, with a piece of cold rolled
3/8 rod welded to that. The 3/8" rod will be about 2" long.

I can weld it with stick, flux core, or wirefeed with gas.

What would be the best way to weld it, what rod, and then afterward,
should I heat it up and let it cool, heat it up, and quench, or hit it
with a ball peen hammer at the weld?

It really does not take any stress during operation, just keeps the 1"+
pin in place.

Steve

If the wire is already in the machine then MIG would be my first
choice because of speed and looks. Then flux core, then 7018 or 7014.
7018 or 7014 because they look better than 6011.
Eric

I love 7014, but to get any kind of a vee in there between the two
parts, I find it difficult to get a good solid weld in a short space. I
end up with slag inclusions, or burnthrough, or just slag. Yes, I will
probably do it with .035" E70-S-6 and 75/25 mixed gas. Gives a nice
appearance, but one must do root preparation, or get a cold lap weld.

Steve

I'd just stick weld it. But then I have a LOT more stick welding
experience tha wire feed experience and I can make a MUCH better job
with a stick welder. A 6010 or 6011 "tack rod" would be a lot better
than the 7018 or 7014 for the application. 6010 requires DC electrode
positive to make a decent weld, so in most situations I'd be stuck
with 6011 on a "buzz box" The application has no need for the extra
strength of a 7000 series rod. And 7018 that hasn't been kept
perfectly dry can be a trial. (like all Lo-Hiy rods)