Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

On Monday, July 7, 2014 4:02:36 AM UTC, SteveB wrote:

What would be the best way to weld it, what rod, and then afterward,

should I heat it up and let it cool, heat it up, and quench, or hit it

with a ball peen hammer at the weld?

Steve

I would space the rod about 1/8 inch from the bar so you get penetration. And then use what ever welding process is the most convenient. For me that would be SMAW 6013 rod as I have an AC stick welder next to the garage door and plugged in. Any other welder would take more time to plug it in , turn the gas on etc.

After welding one side, I would flip it over and weld the other side.

If the parts are mild steel , then heat treatment would have no effect.

Naturally if the parts are stainless steel, you would not use 6013 rod.

Dan