Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveB[_15_] SteveB[_15_] is offline

Default Metal advice needed

SteveB fired this volley in news:lpd650$753$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

What would be the best way to weld it, what rod, and then afterward,
should I heat it up and let it cool, heat it up, and quench, or hit it
with a ball peen hammer at the weld?

Steve, you're over-engineering. It's just a friggin' lynch pin. Go buy
a whole double-handful of them at Tractor Supply for $10. They'll even
come with snap-lock rings to automagically hold them in place without any
extra baling wire. The ring also serves as a handle to turn and pull
them when they get sticky in the hole.

You can make better use of your time running your bush hog than making
lynch pins!

IF your time value doesn't matter, just stick them together with whatever
method is handy, including brazing or O/A welding, and after defluxing,
either paint them or don't. You don't have to heat treat a part that's
under zero mechanical stress. Weather will eat them up faster than wear.

Lloyd

Lloyd, Lloyd, Lloyd. How many people here go out in their shop, and
spend hours building 1/8" widgets in their 12" jawwed cnc lathe? Well,
in this group, not a lot, most are curmudgeons or political nutjobs.
But there are still a few people who don't mind taking a break from
SWMBO or Nancy Grace, and going to the man cave and making some chips.
I would like to believe that there are still a few here who do make
thinguses from spare parts and junk, rather than go buy overpriced
Chinese crap, or find it difficult to make it to the store, or just find
some of these exotic parts from out of production motors hard to find.

I do manage my time, but at times, find it worth the time and effort to
just go out there, and make one like Dad would have done. My time is
valuable, and I am a very important man, but not to that degree. If I
ever reach that stage, I think a rethinking would be in order.

YMM(and probably does)V

Steve