Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

SteveB wrote:
I need to make some replacement things for my tractor. They are pins
with a tab on them, and then the pin holds a larger pin in its socket.

It is formed of a piece of 3/8x1 Flat Bar, with a piece of cold rolled
3/8 rod welded to that. The 3/8" rod will be about 2" long.

I can weld it with stick, flux core, or wirefeed with gas.

What would be the best way to weld it, what rod, and then afterward,
should I heat it up and let it cool, heat it up, and quench, or hit it
with a ball peen hammer at the weld?

It really does not take any stress during operation, just keeps the
1"+ pin in place.

Steve

Zing ! or was that Whoosh ? Good one Steve , it went right over the heads of
at least a couple of folks .

--
Snag