Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Metal advice needed

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
SteveB fired this volley in news:lpd650$753$1
@speranza.aioe.org:

What would be the best way to weld it, what rod, and then afterward,
should I heat it up and let it cool, heat it up, and quench, or hit
it with a ball peen hammer at the weld?

Steve, you're over-engineering. It's just a friggin' lynch pin. Go
buy a whole double-handful of them at Tractor Supply for $10.
They'll even come with snap-lock rings to automagically hold them in
place without any extra baling wire. The ring also serves as a
handle to turn and pull them when they get sticky in the hole.

You can make better use of your time running your bush hog than making
lynch pins!

IF your time value doesn't matter, just stick them together with
whatever method is handy, including brazing or O/A welding, and after
defluxing, either paint them or don't. You don't have to heat treat
a part that's under zero mechanical stress. Weather will eat them up
faster than wear.

Lloyd

Lloyd , I think maybe you missed Steve's whole point . Just a WAG on my
part , but ...

--
Snag