Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe gwinn Joe gwinn is offline

Default Uploaded photos of Treadlock safe repair

In article , Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 17:17:56 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 15:16:54 -0500, Pete Keillor
wrote:

The S&G combo lock on my old Treadlock safe (cheap gun safe) was
getting flaky.

Gee, I didn't know that ****s & Grins made locks!

I had a locksmith out to fix it, but he declined,
saying Tread had modified the S&G bolt by drilling and attaching the
bolt operating mechanism, and any replacement lock would likely wear
out as well.

I didn't feel like buying a new safe, so I made an operating bolt and
installed, plus a new electronic lock. Took several hours one day to
fab, part of another to assemble and test. I bought the lock and the
handle. The rest was on hand.

www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock01.jpg parts
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock02.jpg unlock position
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock03.jpg lock position
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock04.jpg clamped to door through
operating shaft tube
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock05.jpg welded, assembled, and
greased
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock06.jpg closeup of attachment to
original lock mechanism
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock07.jpg electronic lock installed
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock08.jpg operating handle and keypad

Nice. Noting the gauge difference between the handle slide-bolt and
the door lock levers is, um, rather interesting. You won't be
breaking the handle any time soon, will you?

So, what do you do when (not if) the battery dies and it forgets your
combination? That has always concerned me regarding electronic locks,
though some have key backups. (Which makes them easier to pick.) :/

I use Abus padlocks...they are quite difficult to pick.

http://www.abus.com/us/Home-Security...ks/Diskus-R/28

These are *not* the original Abloy cylinders with the disks. See
http://www.abloy.com/en/abloy/abloycom/products/abloy-cylinders/.

These are almost impossible to pick.

The Abus lock appear to have standard (albeit well made) traditional
Yale cylinders., despite the talk of disks. Disk cylinder locks are
usually easy to pick. Abloy padlocks are the execption.

For most applications, a padlock requires physical strength more than
pick resistance for security. Abus does have physical strength, but
not as much as an "American" brand "hockey-puck" padlock. You've seen
these on many a vending machine.

...http://www.americanlock.com/solid_body_padlocks/

Joe Gwinn