Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Uploaded photos of Treadlock safe repair

The S&G combo lock on my old Treadlock safe (cheap gun safe) was
getting flaky. I had a locksmith out to fix it, but he declined,
saying Tread had modified the S&G bolt by drilling and attaching the
bolt operating mechanism, and any replacement lock would likely wear
out as well.

I didn't feel like buying a new safe, so I made an operating bolt and
installed, plus a new electronic lock. Took several hours one day to
fab, part of another to assemble and test. I bought the lock and the
handle. The rest was on hand.

www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock01.jpg parts
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock02.jpg unlock position
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock03.jpg lock position
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock04.jpg clamped to door through
operating shaft tube
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock05.jpg welded, assembled, and
greased
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock06.jpg closeup of attachment to
original lock mechanism
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock07.jpg electronic lock installed
www.mwdropbox.com/dropbox/Treadlock08.jpg operating handle and keypad

Pete Keillor
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gee, I didn't know that ****s & Grins made locks!

[...]

Nice. Noting the gauge difference between the handle slide-bolt and
the door lock levers is, um, rather interesting. You won't be
breaking the handle any time soon, will you?

So, what do you do when (not if) the battery dies and it forgets your
combination? That has always concerned me regarding electronic locks,
though some have key backups. (Which makes them easier to pick.) :/

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I use Abus padlocks...they are quite difficult to pick.

http://www.abus.com/us/Home-Security...ks/Diskus-R/28

If they dogs and the alarm system dont run em off..they will need to
be hanging around for a while picking the locks as the county mounties
surround the joint.

If they manage to get in..and dont enter the code inside properly..the
CS dispensers fire in less than 10 seconds.

If I happen to be around...I know exactly how to handle interlopers.
And the coroner will be going to Bakersfield with their bodies.

Shrug

-

"[F]ar from being the Great Satan, I would say that we
are the Great Protector. We have sent men and women
from the armed forces of the United States to other parts
of the world throughout the past century to put down oppression.
We defeated Fascism. We defeated Communism.
We saved Europe in World War I and World War II.
We were willing to do it, glad to do it. We went to
Korea. We went to Vietnam. All in the interest of
preserving the rights of people.

And when all those conflicts were over, what did we
do? Did we stay and conquer? Did we say, "Okay, we
defeated Germany. Now Germany belongs to us? We defeated Japan,
so Japan belongs to us"? No. What did we do?
We built them up. We gave them democratic systems which
they have embraced totally to their soul.
And did we ask for any land? No.

The only land we ever asked for was
enough land to bury our dead."

General Colin Powell
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

These are *not* the original Abloy cylinders with the disks. See
http://www.abloy.com/en/abloy/abloycom/products/abloy-cylinders/.

These are almost impossible to pick.

The Abus lock appear to have standard (albeit well made) traditional
Yale cylinders., despite the talk of disks. Disk cylinder locks are
usually easy to pick. Abloy padlocks are the execption.

For most applications, a padlock requires physical strength more than
pick resistance for security. Abus does have physical strength, but
not as much as an "American" brand "hockey-puck" padlock. You've seen
these on many a vending machine.

...http://www.americanlock.com/solid_body_padlocks/

Joe Gwinn
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 22:39:30 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Of course not. However..my keys have locking pins on BOTH sides of the
key..very much like an automotive ignition key. They came out of a
large purchase I made for a hospital way back in the 1980s..for their
drug lockers.

These are almost impossible to pick.

The Abus lock appear to have standard (albeit well made) traditional
Yale cylinders., despite the talk of disks. Disk cylinder locks are
usually easy to pick. Abloy padlocks are the execption.

Indeed they are.

For most applications, a padlock requires physical strength more than
pick resistance for security. Abus does have physical strength, but
not as much as an "American" brand "hockey-puck" padlock. You've seen
these on many a vending machine.

True..but as you may notice..they resist prying open..or hammering
open..quite nicely. Ever see the guts of one? Ill see if I can find
an interal photo. Being welded together via induction after
assembly..makes em pretty rugged.

..http://www.americanlock.com/solid_body_padlocks/

Joe Gwinn

Gunner

-

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

The batteries are changed from the outside, the combination is
retained. And you need to know the combination to change it. This
safe is more to keep kids out (other people's) than deter a determined
thief. It's not that heavy of a safe, which you observed with the
lock mechanism. As a matter of fact, the imminent arrival of a niece
with her three kids was the reason I finally fixed the thing.

Pete
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Gunner Asch
wrote:

On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 22:39:30 -0400, Joe Gwinn
wrote:

http://www.abus.com/us/Home-Security/Padlocks/Diskus-R/28

These are *not* the original Abloy cylinders with the disks. See
http://www.abloy.com/en/abloy/abloycom/products/abloy-cylinders/.

Of course not. However..my keys have locking pins on BOTH sides of the
key..very much like an automotive ignition key. They came out of a
large purchase I made for a hospital way back in the 1980s..for their
drug lockers.

Ahh. That's a very different lock than shown by the original URL:
http://www.abus.com/us/Home-Security/Padlocks/Diskus-R/28.

These are almost impossible to pick.

The Abus lock appear to have standard (albeit well made) traditional
Yale cylinders., despite the talk of disks. Disk cylinder locks are
usually easy to pick. Abloy padlocks are the execption.

Indeed they are.

For most applications, a padlock requires physical strength more than
pick resistance for security. Abus does have physical strength, but
not as much as an "American" brand "hockey-puck" padlock. You've seen
these on many a vending machine.

True..but as you may notice..they resist prying open..or hammering
open..quite nicely. Ever see the guts of one? Ill see if I can find
an interal photo. Being welded together via induction after
assembly..makes em pretty rugged.

No, I haven't. The photos would be interesting.

Joe Gwinn

..http://www.americanlock.com/solid_body_padlocks/

Joe Gwinn

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

So, what do you do when (not if) the battery dies and it forgets your
combination? That has always concerned me regarding electronic locks,
though some have key backups. (Which makes them easier to pick.) :/

The batteries are changed from the outside, the combination is
retained. And you need to know the combination to change it. This
safe is more to keep kids out (other people's) than deter a determined
thief. It's not that heavy of a safe, which you observed with the
lock mechanism.

And the 16ga thick door, like my Sentry.

As a matter of fact, the imminent arrival of a niece
with her three kids was the reason I finally fixed the thing.

That's a very good reason.

--
The goal to strive for is a poor government but a rich people.

--Andrew Johnson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 07 Jul 2014 20:51:30 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

As a matter of fact, the imminent arrival of a niece
with her three kids was the reason I finally fixed the thing.

That's a very good reason.

The 3 kids can pick a padlock? Daaaammm!!

-

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Most padlocks are useless, ever watch "Storage Wars" cordless grinder
and a few seconds, maybe a minute to get through a disk style lock.

Remove 333 to reply.
Randy

---