Posted to uk.d-i-y
Brian Gaff[_2_] Brian Gaff[_2_] is offline

Default new metal back box sunken into wall.... wall plastered..... screw thread missing in side lug when trying to screw new socket to the wall.... what to do?

Depends if you have room to temp glue a nut behind the lug where the thread
has gone, I suppose. It would cause some concern when you try to get the
screw out some years down the line though. I have done this, and it worked,
but I have to admit it was a bodge. Grin.
Brian

--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Stephen" wrote in message
As subject header...

6 brand new metal boxes are countersunk into the blockwork walls in the
kitchen. The block work walls are then plastered using thistle hardwall
base coat and Thistle skim coat.

When doing 2nd fix eletrics it is found that one of the screw hole lugs on
one of the new metal back boxes has no thread so only one screw instead of
two can be used to secure double socket faceplate to the new back box.

Are there any better solutions than digging out the new metal back box,
fitting new box and redoing plaster around the replacement box?

Regards

Stephen.