Posted to alt.home.repair
DannyD. DannyD. is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

TomR wrote, on Fri, 04 Jul 2014 13:19:45 -0400:

At $250 for each 3,800 gallon transport, that's way less than
any of the other options that he was looking at

That's roughly about 7 cents a gallon, where the water company charges
1 cent a gallon for the water were we to truck it ourselves.

The *cheapest* option appears to be to use the spare 500 gallon tank
we have available to us (which holds 685 gallons when full), and borrow
a pickup capable of handling 2-1/2 ton loads uphill from one of the
neighbors with volunteer manpower.

The truck costs us a full tank of gas plus a case of beer plus probably
a few amenities like washing it and leaving goodies in the front seat.

We may need to buy a good horsepower water pump, to pump the
water from the truck to the top of a water tank, which could be as
far as 100 feet away from where the truck has to park.

The only problem is that a single 5,000 gallon water tank will take
(nominally) 10 trips, which is time consuming, so, we only want to
do this in emergencies. Still, it behooves us to plan ahead because
we're in the extreme fire hazard zone (nothing is higher) and, as
you may know, we're in a drought and there is absolutely no rain
forecasted until some time around November, if then.

I did google whether I could drink from the pool, and it turns out
that, even with the cyanuric acid, you *can* drink the water (but
I wouldn't want to unless I had to).
https://c2.staticflickr.com/4/3877/1...a842d67a_b.jpg