Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design
John Larkin John Larkin is offline

Default OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 19:53:44 -0700, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 22:18:11 -0400, Gave us:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 19:01:04 -0700, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
wrote:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:39:33 -0700, John Larkin
Gave us:

On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:27:29 -0700, RobertMacy
wrote:

It's HOT, so I thought run the ceiling fan so the cool air comes across
the stone flooring and moves by me to be sucked up into the ceiling fan -
so I feel cooler. Fan is set to move air UP

Earlier I thought run the fan directly onto me gently moving air straight
at me, which is DOWN. But when I did that, after 10-15min felt hotter in
the room.

Just saw one of those home shows, says in winter run the fan to move air
UP so the hot air moves along the ceiling and down your walls. And, in the
summer run your fan DOWN, with NO explanation, except claiming that lowers
your temperature 4-5 degrees [which is impossible in a CLOSED system] and
save up to 40% on air conditioning [what planet do THEY live on?]

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or DOWN
air in the summer?

Mine doesn't reverse, it always blows down. I don't think the blades
can be switched.

We don't have a/c, so the only time we use the fan is when it's warm
at night. Works great.

What brand of fan did you buy that it does not reverse?

That is silly.

And if you installed it, why would you install a fan that is so
sub-par? There cannot be that great a savings between them, even if
such fans enjoy a market. Maybe I never looked for them, but an air
circulator fan (ceiling fan)always has a bi-directional motor.

And if it came with the house, I would be looking to kick a
contractor's ass, especially in *that* town. I didn't think anything up
there was done '**** poor'.

Or maybe you never actually inspected the fan itself.

There are lots of cheap uni-directional fans on the market. $19.95
China specials. Usually only in white, but likely others out there.

But what idiot in their right mind, especially in greater SF would buy
or use such a cheap POS in a perm install?

I love our ceiling fan. My wife loves our ceiling fan. You don't like
our ceiling fan. Fortunately, you don't matter.