BillR

Default bathroom sealant

Roger Mills wrote:
"Reestit Mutton" wrote in message
Hi,

I've recently renewed the sealant in my bathroom as the old stuff was
covered in mould.

However, although I filled the bath with water before using the
sealant and left it for almost 24 hours before emptying it and using
the over-bath shower, it seems that every time weight is applied to
the
bath, a large open crack appears in the sealant.

Similarly, when I run my finger along the sealant above the sink that
was renewed a few days earlier, bits of it come away on my finger.

Should I have left the bath sealant a lot longer before emptying the
bath and using the over-bath shower (it *seemed* dry to me) or is it
possible that the sealant (although advertised as for kitchens and
bathrooms) is just plain rubbish? - It was a B&Q branded sealant.

FWIW, both areas were stripped of the old sealant, cleaned and dried
before the new sealant was applied.

cheers,
RM

It sounds to me as if your bath isn't supported properly - if it moves
enough to disturb the sealant when you stand in it. Are you sure that
all of its supporting feet are properly wound down onto something
solid?

I'd aggree with that. .
In addition, the surfaces to which you apply the sealant must be
clean and dry for it to stick properly. This can be difficult to
achieve - if there was old sealant there previously, and in the
presence of water and steam - but it is still essential!

Roger

Maybe a highly elastic sealant (low modulus) would help but in my opinion
the movement should be minimised before sealing. i.e. support the bath
underneath with e.g. bricks and build a decent timber frame to support the
dge.
This is another point where steel baths are better; the edges are squarer so
they are easier to seal and they don't flex like the plastic ones