Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design

Default OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 11:17:41 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 12:08:54 -0400, clare wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 10:34:11 -0500, Tim Wescott
wrote:

On Fri, 04 Jul 2014 04:06:11 -0400, rickman wrote:

On 7/4/2014 12:57 AM, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 22:28:23 -0400, krw wrote:

On Thu, 3 Jul 2014 17:00:16 -0700, "Pico Rico"

wrote:

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.xif3so2o2cx0wh@ajm...
On Thu, 03 Jul 2014 16:29:47 -0700, Pico Rico

wrote:

"RobertMacy" wrote in message
newsp.xif3f3zo2cx0wh@ajm...
...snip...
So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for?
UP or DOWN air in the summer?

it depends if you have air conditioning.

again which way? for what reason? elaborate?

heat rises. If you have ac, you want to push the warm air down so
it can become ac'd. If you don't have ac, you might as well leave
the warm air up there were it will be less noticed.

But you can cool to a higher temperature if you help the convection
off your skin. Add in evaporative cooling and a breeze is a big
win, at least in small rooms, like a home.

We have air conditioning which keeps the house at 78, and a way
undersized room dehumidifier which we set up in the master shower,
turn on the circulating fan in the furnace, and basically slowly and
inefficiently dry out the whole house.

It makes a huge huge difference how hot it feels -- and we're in
Oregon,
where everyone is a humidity wimp.

Do you realize the dehumidifier is just an AC unit where the heat is
exhausted back into the room? You could do the same thing by running
a small space heater which would make the AC run more often which does
a much better job of taking the humidity out of the air. Actually,
I've never seen a house with AC that still had high humidity, but then
I'm not in the Pacific northwest.

Our AC is a heat pump which does not remove the moisture from the air --
it just cools it. Don't ask me how -- for all I know they have the
thing arranged to do it on purpose.

Any heat pump or other air conditioner WILL remove humidity from the
air - warm humid air passes over cool surface, humidity condenses out.
Cannot be done any other way.

Water does not dribble out of it, and even when it is going the
dehumidifier will remove gallons from this place in a day.

Then it must have an "evaporator" like refrigerators have to "boil"
the water back into the house - which sure doesn't make a lot of
sense.