Posted to alt.home.repair
TomR[_3_] TomR[_3_] is offline

Default How to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a residence

In ,
trader_4 typed:
On Friday, July 4, 2014 11:10:01 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:
In ,

DannyD. typed:
By way of comparison, I just got a quote from this water company
for $225 to $250 for 3,800 gallons from a stainless steel truck:
Bay Area Water Trucking, 408-683-0500

Well, if I am not mistaken, that seems to be the answer to your
original question -- how to truck 1,000 gallons of potable water to a
residence.

For 250 bucks you can get almost 4 times the original 1,000 gallons
you were looking for -- and that's the delivered price. So, no meters to
buy
or rent, no tanks to buy, no trucks or trailers to rent, etc. If your
neighbors asked you to figure this out, it looks like you just did
that for them.

My vote would be, call Bay Area Water Trucking, write the check, and
it's over.

In fairness to Danny, from the original post, it's obvious it's not
a one time, 1000 gallon problem. CA is in a long term drought, his
wells are running dry and so are his neighbors. The idea was to see
if they could come up with some lower cost solution to span months.

Yes, but he was trying to figure out the best plan or solution for each
1,000 gallons of water that they need to get up to their location. At $250
for each 3,800 gallon transport, that's way less than any of the other
options that he was looking at, and it involves virtually no labor or
rentals or anything else on their part. At $250 per 3,800 gallon trip,
that's even less than the cost for them to just rent a tank truck and then
they would have to find a commercially licensed driver to drive the rental
truck, do the pumping and metering, etc. I think that he originally thought
that it would cost a lot more than $250 to even get just 1,000 gallons up to
them. So, to me, $250 total for each 3,800 gallon delivery sounds like the
easiest and cheapest option that any of us has come up with. It certainly
beats my "buy 55-gallon drums and make 10 trips of 2 drums at a time in a
pickup truck" idea; or my get a fire truck idea, etc.

I think he found his best option, and that's what his neighbors apparently
asked him to do.