Posted to alt.home.repair,sci.electronics.design
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default OT Which direction is your ceiling fan SUPPOSED to run?

On 7/3/2014 7:27 PM, RobertMacy wrote:
It's HOT, so I thought run the ceiling fan so the cool air comes across
the stone flooring and moves by me to be sucked up into the ceiling fan
- so I feel cooler. Fan is set to move air UP

Earlier I thought run the fan directly onto me gently moving air
straight at me, which is DOWN. But when I did that, after 10-15min felt
hotter in the room.

Just saw one of those home shows, says in winter run the fan to move air
UP so the hot air moves along the ceiling and down your walls. And, in
the summer run your fan DOWN, with NO explanation, except claiming that
lowers your temperature 4-5 degrees [which is impossible in a CLOSED
system] and save up to 40% on air conditioning [what planet do THEY live
on?]

So my question is WHICH way is this !@#$#@ system designed for? UP or
DOWN air in the summer?

Once the air gets mixing, it makes little difference. Down usually lets
you feel the breeze more for some evaporative cooling that you don't
want in the winter. Up is a little more gentle.

The fan eliminates stratification, but in your vase it was detrimental
because the cooler air is where you were but in mixed in the hot air
above. You probably wanted to exhaust the air from the ceiling, bur
just mixed it.